Signs of Dementia
If you’re concerned a loved one might have a dementia disorder, here are some signs that call for a physician’s evaluation*
- Recent memory loss issues including repeating stories and asking the same questions frequently.
- Having problems completing routine tasks or difficulty performing familiar tasks such as making purchases, paying for things or preparing a meal.
- Issues with language, such as forgetting simple words or using the wrong words.
- Time and place disorientation like getting lost in easy-to-navigate or once-familiar surroundings, or forgetting how to get back home.
- Declining judgment, including making poor decisions regarding the use of money and a decline in grooming and cleanliness.
- Problems with abstract thinking and new issues completing once-simple tasks such as paying bills, balancing a checkbook, or using numbers.
- Misplacing things, including repeatedly putting things in the wrong place such as an iron in the freezer or a wristwatch in the sugar bowl.
- Abrupt mood or personality changes. Rapid mood swings, and/or sudden angry outbursts. Intense, unfounded fearfulness or suspicion of once-trusted friends, professionals or family members.
- Loss of initiative and interest in usual activities; new disinterest in going places or seeing people.
- Bizarre or inappropriate behavior. For example, wearing a heavy coat in hot weather or going outside without shoes on in winter.
* Please consult your physician if you suspect your loved one is coping with a dementia disorder.
Memory Care Locations
- Austin, MN - 204 14th St. NW
- Austin, MN - 1401 15th Ave. NW
- Chippewa Falls - 105 Marrs St.
- Eau Claire - 733 W Hamilton Ave.
- Janesville - 4333 Pheasant Run
- Menomonie - 820 17th Ave. E
- New Richmond - 1310 Circle Pine Dr.
- Reedsburg - 1135 17th Ct.
- Rice Lake - 204 14th St. NW
- Richland Center - 240 N. Orange St.
- River Falls - 902 S Wasson Ln.
- Wausau - 220 W Campus Dr.
- Whitewater - 945 E Chicago St.
- Wisconsin Dells - 1950 State Rd. 23
- Wisconsin Rapids - 2711 12th St. S